Housing Benefit Phone Number

0 Flares Filament.io Made with Flare More Info'> 0 Flares ×

0843 658 6837
Housing Benefit Phone Number

Housing Benefits is a benefit in the UK that is means tested. The intention of the benefit is to help those who live in rented accommodation meet their housing costs.

Other Housing Benefit Contact Numbers:

Natwest Phone Number
Head Office 0843 658 6837
HMRC Complaints 0843 658 6837
Customer Services 0843 658 6837

Housing Benefit Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Customer Service 8:30am-11:30pm, 7 days a week

Housing Benefit Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office Westminster Benefit Services
PO Box 82

Reasons to contact the Housing Benefit Helpline:

      • If you are unsatisfied with your Housing Benefit and wish to talk to someone about it
      • If you are unhappy with service you have received at via HMRC
      • If you have been under or overpaid and wish to discuss concerns with HMRC
      • If you wish to make a complaint about a certain individual at HMRC concerning your Housing Benefit
      • If you are unsatisfied with the customer service that you have received previously

How Are Housing Benefits Paid?
How Do I Know If I Am Eligible For Housing Benefits?
How Do I Apply for Housing Benefit?
Is there Going to be any Further Cuts to Housing Benefit?
What should I do if I am Overpaid on my Housing Benefit?
How do I use the Housing Benefit Calculator?

Who Can Use The Housing Benefit Phone Number?

Anyone who is receiving Housing Benefits or would like to enquire about doing so can gain useful information from using the Housing Benefit Phone Number. Some of the questions you may want to know answers to are:

    • What are Housing Benefits?
    • Who can get Housing Benefits?
    • Does the benefit cap apply to Housing Benefits?
    • What kind of support am I entitled to?
    • What type of accommodation do I have to be living in to get Housing Benefits?

Housing Benefit Contact Numbers

Department Contact Number
Housing Benefit 0843 658 6837


When you speak to a member of staff through the Housing Benefit, there is a good chance that someone else has already asked a similar question. Here is a list of some of the more common enquiries, along with some potential answers:

How Are Housing Benefits Paid?

The way your housing benefits are paid depends on the type of tenant you are:

  • Council tenants are paid into their rent account, so they won’t receive the money
  • Private tenants are paid into their bank or building society account and in rare instances, by cheque.

If you are unsure what type of tenant you are or haven’t received a payment you should ring the Housing Benefit.

How Do I Know If I Am Eligible For Housing Benefits?Housing Benefit Phone Number

You may find that you are entitled to housing benefits if:

  • You pay rent
  • You are considered to be on a low income or are claiming benefits
  • You have savings worth less than a certain level- which is usually £16,000

You can be unemployed or employed to make a claim, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefits. If you are a single person under the age of 35 you can only get Housing Benefits for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in a shared accommodation setting.

Can I Appeal A Decision On Housing Benefits? You can contact your local council if you want a Housing Benefit decision to be re-evaluate. If you find this to still be unsatisfactory, you can appeal the decision.

If you have any other queries, you should use the contact number and an adviser will be able to assist you.

How Do I Apply for Housing Benefit?

If you are eligible for housing benefit and wish to apply, you can either call the Housing Benefit Contact Number or visit your local Job Centre Plus where you will be able to speak with an adviser and receive all the information you need. The easiest way once you know that you are eligible is to go online and fill out an application form. If you are successful, the housing benefit that you receive will pay for all or part of your rent. Whether you are employed or unemployed, you are still able to apply for Housing Benefit. You do not have to be already claiming benefits to receive housing benefit, but if you are already claiming Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, or Job Seeker’s Allowance then you will need to ring our contact number where you will be put through to advisers at the Job Centre Plus as the Housing Benefit claim will be made in conjunction with your other benefits. The details of your claim will then be sent forward to your local council.


Universal CreditUniversal Credit is a new type of benefit that rolls all payments into one monthly payment. Therefore, if you are in receipt of the new Universal Credit, you may not receive Housing Benefit as a separate payment as you would have done previously and Housing Benefit will be added onto your monthly Universal Credit payments and given straight to your landlord to avoid rent arrears.

Pension CreditIf you are in receipt of pension credit then similarly, you will receive your Housing benefit through the pension scheme who will then pass your details, and the details of your claim, onto the council.

If you are not claiming any other benefits but still need help towards your housing, don’t hesitate to call the Housing Benefit contact number, or contact your local council for further help and advice.

Is there Going to be any Further Cuts to Housing Benefit?

In recent years, under David Cameron’s government, there has been significant cuts to Housing Benefit that have affected many people that have relied on it. In 2015 it was announced that new plans meant that the Housing Benefit claimant would have to pay the first 10% of rent with their own funds, before they received any financial help. this was likely to save around 2.4 billion a year, but would in turn affect 4.8 million households. Cuts were put into place due to the ever rising bill of Housing Benefit that was putting a strain on to the Government and the taxpayer. The bedroom tax was a huge financial issue that saw hundreds of local councils struggling to help families pay their rent, which came in conjunction with a £500 a week benefit cap. A lot of councils paid out much more than their allocated allowance of help from the DWP, to the needy. Rising house prices were, and continue to be, an issue in today’s society as people struggle to afford a roof over their heads.Housing Benefit Phone Number

In more recent news has been the ever rising issue of homelessness, and with the Government’s promise to review the situation and introduce more supported housing being pushed further and further back, there is definitely an air of uncertainty that surrounds Housing Benefit. For the moment, there are no further cuts to take place, but eventually Housing Benefit will be replaced completely by Universal Credit which could mean there are further cuts to funding.

What should I do if I am Overpaid on my Housing Benefit?

An overpayment can occur either by mistake from the DWP, but more often than not it occurs because a claimant’s circumstances have changed and it has not yet been registered with the DWP, meaning you are now receiving more than you are entitled to. If this happens, it is important that you ring the contact number and explain what has happened. In most cases, overpayment does unfortunately have to be re-paid. If you were overpaid and the benefit went straight to your landlord, you are the person that makes the claim for the housing benefit and so it is your responsibility.

How do I use the Housing Benefit Calculator?

A benefits calculator is found online and can help you in finding out how to claim for your benefits and how much you are entitled to. If you start work or experience a change in circumstances the benefits calculator can also help you understand what will happen to the current benefits you receive. Go online to use the Housing Benefit calculator, and you will find that they are free to use, as well as anonymous. These are now a quick and easy replacement for the benefit adviser service but if you are struggling and still need some extra advice, call the Housing Benefit contact number.

About Housing Benefits

Housing Benefits is offered in the UK on a means tested basis. It is intended to be used by those who need assistance in meeting their housing costs in rented accommodation. In 2013-2014, it was the single biggest cost for the tax payer, accounting for almost 30% of the whole welfare bill.

Housing Benefits can only be used to meet the needs in terms of the cost of renting, it cannot be used for other bills such as gas, electricity, water or food.




Comments (1)
  1. Gillian Boyd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *