0843 557 4549

woman receiving income support

Income Support Contact Number

Income Support Contact Numbers

Income Support Phone Number
Head Office 0843 557 4549
Customer Services 0843 557 4549
Complaints 0843 557 4549

Income Support Head Office Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Head Office Monday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm, Sunday 11am to 5pm

Income Support Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office Department for Work and Pensions
PO Box 50101


Reasons to call the Income Support contact number:

  • I want to apply to begin receiving Income Support
  • I have been underpaid my Income Support
  • I need to alert Income Support to a change in my circumstances
  • My address/bank details have changed and so I need to update my payment details
  • I have seen a mistake on my details
  • I have been overpaid by Income Support
  • I am not sure whether or not I am eligible for Income Support or what I am entitled to
  • My income Support has been stopped or reduced and I am unsure why
  • I would like to appeal against a decision made in regards to my Income Support

How Income Support works

Income Support is a benefit that can be received by those that are in employment, depending on how much they earn. Most people that are unemployed will receive other benefits such as Job Seeker’s Allowance, but Income Support is designed to aim towards those that are in work but still are not earning enough to support their families. Of course, how much you are entitled to will depend on how much you earn, and also how much your partner earns, making the total of your household income. If you are unsure about whether or not you will be entitled to receive income support then please call the contact number. If you have children and need to claim Income Support you are still also entitled to claim child tax credit as this is a separate claim. You can claim Income Support over the phone or you can put your claim in writing. If you have put in a claim but haven’t heard back please don’t hesitate to call the contact number where it will be chased up for you.

Are you Eligible for Income Support?Income support eligibility

Finding out if you are eligible for Income Support is simple, you can visit the Government website and use their benefits calculator or you can call the contact number to discuss your details and what you are entitled to. Eligibility varies from person to person but the general consensus for eligibility stands at; you or your partner have little to no income, you work less than sixteen hours per week, you are unemployed but haven’t previously signed on for Job Seeker’s Allowance or any other employment-based benefit. If you are aged between sixteen and the pension qualifying age then you can apply for Income Support. You must also live in England, Scotland or Wales. You must be one of the following; pregnant, a carer or a lone parent with a child under five. You will also be eligible if you have found yourself unable to work because you have been sick/are sick or are disabled. Younger people (aged 16-20) in full-time education are also entitled to Income Support under the following circumstances; you are a parent, you are not living with a parent/guardian, you are a refugee learning English. You can still claim Income Support if you do not have a permanent address/live in a hostel/care home. This Income Support will end when you turn 21. You will not qualify for Income Support if you already claim Jobseeker’s Allowance, already have savings of over £16, 000 or are in the UK illegally/need permission to enter the UK. Please note that you must call the contact number and alert Income Support should your circumstances change.


How much Income Support will I receive?

This depends on your circumstances but the average weekly Income Support payment for a single person is £57.90 if you are aged between sixteen and twenty and £73.10 if you are aged 25 plus. Your entitlement changes slightly if you are living with a partner and for couples that are aged between 18 and 24, their entitlement remains at £57.90, however, if one person in the partnership is over 24 they will receive the higher amount of £73.20 and if both people in the partnership are over 18 they are entitled to £114.85 per week. there are lower and higher rates of each section that you will be entitled to but this depends on your personal circumstances, such as receiving the ‘higher rate’ if you are responsible for a child. For full terms of eligibility rates please either call the contact number or visit the Government website. If a decision has been made about how much money you are due to receive, and you are not happy with it, you can appeal to change the decision.

Who do I notify if my address has changed?Using phone to call Income Support

When making a claim for Income Support, there are specific details that the Job Centre will require such as your income, the income of your partner,  where you live and who lives with you. If you experience a change in circumstances you must report them to the Job Centre as soon as possible to prevent you being paid your income Support incorrectly. Changes in circumstances could include a change of address, a change in your income or savings, a change in the number of people that live with you. You must also notify them if you start working as this will also affect your payments. If you have a change in circumstances please either call the contact number or notify the job centre by email or letter, details of which can be found on the Government website.

Are carers entitled to Income Support?

Yes, you can claim Income Support if you are a carer, whether you are looking after a child or someone that is too ill to look after themselves. You may also be entitled to Carer’s Allowance.


Is my Income Support affected by a change in circumstances?

Yes and it is important, as it is with any benefit that you notify the Government of any changes as a change in circumstances usually means a change in eligibility. If you do not notify the Government of a change in your circumstances and you are then overpaid by Income Support, you can be charged with breaking the law and so the Job Centre should be notified as soon as you realise. It is also important to note that any overpayment of benefits will require being paid back.

About Income Support

Income Support is a benefit that is based on your income and can be received alone or can be used to top up other benefits to ensure you have enough money to support yourself and your family. You cannot claim Income Support if you are claiming the likes of Job Seeker’s Allowance and so it is important to decide which benefit is right for you. Income Support is also based on your savings and the earnings of your partner/someone you may be living with. Claimants of the newly developed Universal Credit (a system where all benefits are rolled into one monthly payment) will not be able to claim Income Support.