Self-Employed Helpline

0 Flares Made with Flare More Info'> 0 Flares ×

0844 453 0165

Self-Employed Helpline

A hand writing “Self-Employed” in the air!

If you currently work for yourself or you have decided to take that career path, you may need to speak to someone at HMRC who can guide you through the process. To get advice, call the Self-Employed helpline.


Self Employed Helpline Telephone Numbers

Department Contact Number
Self Employed Helpline 0844 453 0165

Self-Employed Helpline Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Self-employed helpline 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday

Self-Employed Head Office Address

Department Address
Self-employed HM Revenue & Customs
Self Assessment
United Kingdom

What information can the Self-Employed Helpline provide me with?

  • Registering a new business for tax and National Insurance.

You can register a new business online through the HMRC website. This allows you to register for the following taxes: Self Assessment, Corporation Tax, PAYE for employers and VAT.

  • Report the closure/sale of a business or stopping self-employment.

It is important to let HMRC know as soon as possible that you intend to stop trading or close your business, so they can help to get your tax and National Insurance in order. You can do this using an online form or over the phone if you prefer.

  • Getting your Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR).

Your UTR number is 10 digits long and is unique to you or your business. You will receive your UTR when you initially register for self employment. You will need to use your UTR when you are submitting your tax returns and if you use an account they will definitely need it!

If you are not sure what your Unique Taxpayer Reference number is please call the self employement helpline now and they will be able to find it for you.

  • Completing a tax return.

If you are self-employed, you must complete a Self Assessment tax return for any tax year during which you were self-employed.

  • Authorising an accountant to act on your behalf.

HMRC is strict on confidentiality, which means that they need your permission before they can liaise with an accountant on your behalf. This permission must be written using form 64-8.

  • Claiming a National Insurance refund.

Whether you are self-employed or employed, there is a limit to how much National Insurance contributions you need to pay. You can claim the money back if you wrongly pay.

  • Help with starting up a business.

    Self Employed Lady

    This Lady is Self Employed!

HMRC can support you whilst you write up a business plan as well as guiding you through the process of registration, finding finance and choosing a legal structure.

  • VAT.

VAT is a tax that is charged on most goods and services provided by most VAT-registered businesses in the UK. You must register if you supply what is known as ‘taxable goods’.

  • Construction Industry Scheme.

The Construction Industry Scheme sets out rules for how payments to subcontractors for construction work must be handled by contractors within the industry.



How do I change my status from Self-Employed to Employed?
Can I become Self-Employed with a new baby?
Are Self-Employed people entitled to a State Pension?
Are self employed entitled to Statutory Sick Pay?
How do the Self Employed pay National Insurance?
Why should I become Self Employed?

How do I change my status from Self-Employed to Employed?

If you do make the decision to become employed after registering as Self-Employed, you must inform HMRC of this change. To do this, you must fill out a Cease Trading Form. This can be found on the HMRC site for Self-Employed. Once this is done, you will be officially unemployed and HMRC will cut your Class 2 National Insurance Contributions.

You must also send off your last Self Assessment form to declare your last earnings as a Self Employed agent. You must also cancel any VAT registration that you have made, and cancel your PAYE scheme before informing HMRC that you no longer employ anyone in your business.

Can I become Self-Employed with a new baby?

You can register for Self-Employed if you have had a newborn. The process is no different to those without children. However, if you do have children and are registered as Self-Employed, you may qualify for Maternity Allowance.

Maternity Allowance is a benefit given by the government around the time your baby is due. It is paid fortnightly, and for around 39 weeks since the birth of your child. You can apply for this benefit if you’re registered as Self-Employed and earn below £30 a week. The earliest you can submit your claim to this benefit is week 26 of your pregnancy, and you can do so by filling in an MA1 form, which can be found on the HMRC site. You can receive £136.78 per week for 39 weeks.

Are Self-Employed people entitled to a State Pension?

Yes. Anyone who is Self-Employed is entitled to a State Pension, just as any other employed individual. Class 2 National Insurance Contributions are treated the same as employee contributions. If you apply for a State Pension, you will receive £155.65 a week.

Are self-employed entitled to Statutory Sick Pay?

If you’re Self-Employed you are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. However, you can claim Employment and Support Allowance. This benefit helps if you’re ill or disabled And effects your ability to work. You can apply for this benefit if you’re below the State Pension age of 65, not getting SSP or MA, and are not receiving Jobseekers Allowance. With ESA you can receive up to £109.30 a week, depending on how you are processed by HMRC and what bracket you are put into. To find this out and apply for ESA, head on over to the HMRC website, or ring the number above for more information.

Self employed tax return

If you’re Self-Employed, you have to pay National Insurance as well as income tax on your profits. National Insurance contributions add to your State Pension. You can pay your National Insurance contributions through your Self Assessment. A Self-Assessment is how you pay tax if you’re Self-Employed. If you need more information on this or need any other help to do with Self Assessment, you can ring the number above or visit the government website.


How to be Self Employed

There are many pros and cons to becoming Self Employed. You can be your own boss, have a claim on your own success and profits, you can claim tax relief on transport throughout the UK, and have the greater freedom of working from home. However, there are also some cons. You have to make your own contributions to your pension fund, you cannot receive Statutory Sick Pay if you are unwell, you won’t be paid if you take a holiday, and you will be responsible for any losses to your company. If you’re considering registering as Self-Employed, weigh up the pros and cons of each side before making a decision.

  1. Elhaj
  2. Stefan Mikiara
    • HMRC Talk
  3. Aimee
    • HMRC Talk
  4. Shona
    • HMRC Talk
  5. Robert
    • Admin
  6. Ben
  7. Ana
  8. colin
  9. Brendon
  10. robert nyeste

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *